"She makes others happy...She leaves a little sparkle wherever she goes..."

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Cinematic Masterpieces from my Childhood

Pin It Recently, I was flipping channels and I came across the movie Can't Hardly Wait. This movie came out when I was in 7th (1998) grade and I remember so distinctly the guys in my class began wearing baggy coats and weird goggles on their heads:



I had the soundtrack and I remember I used to drag my boombox into the bathroom while I showered and listen to it over and over. This movie was everything, and is still, to this day, remarkably quotable. 

Kudos to Jenna Elfman for the cameo as the stripper-guardian-angel:

Our next stop on our journey revisiting '90s cinematic gold would be none other than the Look Who's Talking trilogy.


I'll tell you what, I already loved John Travolta for Danny Zuko, and his role as James in Look Who's Talking put him on the map in my book. 

And what's not to love here? Cute mom and dad, talking babies, Bruce Willis and Roseanne Barr as the voices, late '80s/early '90s fashions?
 

Furthermore, I learned more about biology from the opening credits than I did from my Catholic school "family life" class...


You can't talk '90s/early-aught-movies without at least giving She's All That honorable mention. I will say, now that I've gained some perspective and since Freddie Prinze Jr.'s bushy eyebrows have lost some of their luster, I will say that I'm not really into the storyline. But you know what I AM into? 
CHOREOGRAPHED DANCES AT THE PROM. Dear reader, this was absolutely the birth of the flashmob:


I don't think I could have gotten through my childhood without Cher Horowitz. This is still one of my top 10 favorite movies. While there are parts that are hokey and trite (it was the 90s people), there is some very smart humor in here. 



The best part was...back in the day they sold CD-ROMs (rememebr those?!) and you could download the program so that you would have Cher's same closet software. If you didn't want to upload your own clothes, no matter, you could dress youself in Cher's clothes!

Additionally, without this movie, my life would have been devoid of fuzzy pens, clogs, and plaid; my vocabulary would have been devoid of the phrases "as if", "whatever" and "hagsville". 
Lastly, I without this film, I would have emerged from my childhood without the following facial expression, which has become a standard:

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips